Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Steve,
...
I think I've remarked before that AGW denialism comes in stages.
...
1. Global warming isn't happening.
2. Global warming is happening
.....but humans aren't causing it.
3. Global warming is happening
.....and humans are causing it
.....but there isn't anything we can do about it.
4. Global warming is happening,
.....humans are causing it,
.....there is something we can do about it
.....but it is too expensive.

Exhibit A:

It looks like Joe Miller is going to be the Republican party's candidate for Senate, having nipped incumbent Lisa Murkowski in the Alaska primary.

Early on in an interview with the Fairbanks News-Miner, Miller peels off the first layer of the onion by conceding:

"I think it’s undeniable, that anyone who has looked at the natural record of the Earth can see significant cyclical changes well before the industrial age, so we know the temperature change is part of the process of our existence..."

Then:

“We haven’t heard there’s man-made global warming,” he said. “Second, even if we proved that, we have not proven we have a solution that works. And third, even if we’ve proven that, we haven’t done a cost-benefit analysis to determine whether the solutions like cap-and-trade that Sen. Murkowski has proposed are actually worth the cost to people.”

Now maybe its just me, but don't you think its a little odd that he would bother to argue against a solution for a problem he believes doesn't even exist? I mean, "No Mom, I wasn't in the kitchen. And even if I was in the kitchen, I didn't steal the cookies..." and so on.

Pardon me for saying so, but this man is either a fool or a tool. Either way, he looks like the kind of person the American public is going to be filling the halls of Congress with this November. Ordinarily I would say we deserve better. But the truth is, if we are fools enough to elect fools like this, we're going to get exactly what we deserve.

-Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment