Thursday, January 14, 2010

SCORE ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS

It is my pleasure to inform the teeming millions of the followers of LRA&H that just this last Tuesday, our own Mr. Green visited his oncologist for his 5 year check-up and was officially declared cancer free. At this time I should like to add, on their behalf, the voices of his friends here at Luna City to the multitude of those now rejoicing in his good fortune back on Earth.

And if I may, a personal note. I've always considered the character of a man, when confronted by great challenges, to be more a matter of conduct than of outcome. Men are not considered great because they survive these trials, but for their examples of courage and dignity which strengthen all of us when we ourselves are called upon to confront the same challenges.

To my mind, the result of the test he reviewed last Tuesday was far less important than that of a more crucial test he had already passed. Steve, its good to have you with us.

But don't for a second think you can use this experience to gain a single grain of my favor as a referee in your endless quarrels with Mr. Rhetts. En garde, Mr. Green. And sharply!

1 comment:

  1. My thanks for the kind words, Bernardo. To quote a favorite author: "It's important that someone celebrate our existence... People are the only mirror we have to see ourselves in. The domain of all meaning. All virtue, all evil, are contained only in people. There is none in the universe at large. Solitary confinement is a punishment in every human culture."

    And, NO, I would not expect special treatment in these diatribes from those such as yourself. I am more than willing, as you have seen, to toss my carefree opinions upon the winds and see where they take me. I'll change them, as with my underwear, when I see fit or as needed. The aspect of the journey I enjoy most is the opportunity to LEARN (and sometimes TEACH in return).

    And concerning the outcomes of the quarrels: I worry not. After all, there are always survivors at a massacre... if not among the victims, then look for them among those who won.

    - Steve

    ReplyDelete